2019-2020 Descriptions and Charges
AACE committees are important to the future of the organization. Consider volunteering to give back to the endocrine community. Please review the committee descriptions to determine where your involvement would be the most beneficial to the organization and your career.
- Conduct a comprehensive biennial review of the Bylaws to ensure they are consistent with the mission of the organization and that policies and procedures reflect current bylaws language.
- Develop appropriate language and recommendations regarding amendments to the Bylaws as requested by the organization President, Executive Committee, Board or, if appropriate, membership.
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation Subcommittee
- Review and accredit educational programs and activities related to the practice of clinical endocrinology.
- Maintain ACCME accreditation standards and ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
- Review ACCME 2016 Standards for Accreditation with Commendation and support implementation of changes to enable AACE to aspire to meet the requirements for Commendation during the next accreditation application.
- Assist staff in resolving conflict of interest issues to ensure bias free and balanced educational offerings.
- Serve as a resource to the Legislative and Regulatory Committee and Socioeconomics and Advocacy Committee as it relates to Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound Certification Committee
- Provide direct oversight of and develop strategies and components of the AACE Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) Program.
- Review ECNU eligibility criteria and certification requirements being cognizant of current ultrasound practice trends.
- Review ECNU recertification requirements.
- Review Payer trends regarding ECNU certification.
Health Policy Committee
- Develop health policy to better position AACE in the growing health care delivery challenges with the intent to raise the profile and importance of the clinical endocrinologists.
Organizational Engagement Committee
- Develop a membership model that appeals to the needs of a community of professionals that provide care to patients with endocrine and metabolic disease.
Professional Standards Committee
- Review conflict of interest (COI) forms from Board members, Committee Chairs, and Committee members, and address any questions or concerns regarding financial, intellectual or other COI.
- Periodically, or approximately every three years, review COI policies and make recommendations as needed to ensure COI policies follow best practices.
- Review complaints concerning reported unethical activities alleged against a member by another member
- Respond to request from Board for guidance and recommendation on matters involving ethics and COI.
- To develop as needed member education materials regarding professional standards and ethics.
Public Impact Committee
- Assist AACE Public & Media Relations staff upon request in corroborating medical information in various communication efforts (i.e., press releases, patient information material, articles).
- Provide insight into best practices and modalities for reaching physicians and patients with AACE public awareness programs and information.
- Review all current patient education and awareness initiatives, patient advocacy activities, and patient focused publications and materials. Evaluate as to their relevance and effectiveness and explore ways to enhance current activities.
- Identify and help develop new patient awareness programs and patient education materials to fill existing knowledge/awareness gaps.
- Consider the value and need for a patient centric information resource center on the AACE member website.
- Review content on empoweryourhealth.org, AACE’s patient education online portal, and make recommendations to the Empower Editorial Board for content needing update and revisions.
- Recommend to the AACE Board of Directors a four-person editorial board for EmPower Magazine® to assist the editor-in-chief in creating an editorial calendar, suggesting story ideas, and recruiting AACE members to author stories. Recommended minimum two-year term.
- Assist in development of a campaign to: a. Publicly brand clinical endocrinologists as the primary experts in the care of endocrine and metabolic conditions aligned with the Disease State Networks (such as diabetes, obesity, thyroid, bone and other endocrine disease states). b. Stake a leadership position for AACE within the medical community regarding education and training in endocrine disease and technology. c. Create a value proposition with policy decision-makers in regards to compensation for members providing patient-care services.
- Provide assistance and guidance to create timely responses to serious public relations situations or reputation threats to AACE, its leadership, or members, up to and including crisis-level situations.
- This group will work closely with the AACE President, Executive Committee, CEO, and Public & Media Relations staff, employing thoughtful yet brisk collaboration and decision making to create a response to events requiring immediate reaction.
- Develop a plan, for Board approval, to serve the endocrine healthcare needs of transcultural populations domestically and internationally in order to foster the most optimal prevention and management of endocrine-related diseases.
- This plan should include collaboration with the broader medical community and other relevant stakeholders, evaluating the feasibility of universally adaptable practice guidelines and other prevention, therapeutic and medical modalities for addressing the endocrine healthcare needs of these populations. b. Included in this plan should be analysis of the availability of adequate financial support in order to facilitate its activities.
- Serve as a resource in assessing the economic aspects of significant population-based health issues, such as diabetes, obesity and osteoporosis, at a local level for the at-risk and underserved population and recommend manners in which these issues can be addressed.